The first meeting of what would later become Salem was held on Easter Sunday 1848. The Rev. Christoph Jung, working on behalf of the German mission society, conducted the meeting. In 1877 the church moved to its present location, on the northwest corner of 9th and State, and has since undergone major renovations (1910, 1927, 1952, 1967, 1980, 1993) that have enhanced both the interior and exterior. Salem is a historic landmark in Quincy’s German Historical district.
United Church of Christ
Salem is a member of the United Church of Christ denomination. The UCC is a product of the merger of four faith traditions: the Congregational and Christian churches merged in 1931 and the Evangelical and Reformed churches in 1934. These two united bodies then merged in 1957 to form the UCC. Salem’s roots can be traced back through the Evangelical tradition and the Evangelical name remains a part of its official name. Holding on to being united, the UCC was affirmed the idea that Christians did not always have to agree to live together in communion. Our motto, “that they may all be one” is Jesus’ prayer for the unity of the church. The UCC is among the most diverse Christian churches in the United States.
Salem recognizes two sacraments: Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. Through baptism, persons are joined in faith with Jesus and accepted into the fellowship of the Christian community. The Baptism ceremony most often takes place in infancy, although it may be celebrated at any time in one’s life. The Lord’s Supper of Communion celebrates, through breaking of bread and pouring the wine, the remembrance of Christ’s death and resurrection. The Lord’s table is a place where we can all gather together, even though we are not perfect and have sinned. Christ’s grace is extended to all through the Supper which is celebrated monthly.